Not everyone is on Google and many use Skype. There is a way to combine Skype and Google hangout and even use other gtalk video chat tools to include people in a google hangout meeting. On top of it I am looking for ways to go beyond just the 10 maximum participant who can join a Google Hangout gtalk video meeting at the same time. I want to find ways for a DIY MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) or DIY Massive Open Online Meetings and Workshops with the lowest costs possible.
If you are a skype user without a google account you will need someone to setup a PC as below in order to dial in.
1. Download and Install Virtual Audio Cable Trial Version: http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
2. Download and Install manycam: http://manycam.com/
3. Download and Install Webcammax :http://www.webcammax.com/
5. Open the Virtual Audio Cable Control Panel and create two cables in Driver Parameters upper left corner of the Panel. Then select Set. As this is the trial version and you do not have administrator rights you need to restart your computer. After the restart open Virtual Audio Cable Control Panel and it will show two lines.
6. Start Google Hangout: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/3273689
7. Open Skype
8. Start Audio Repeater from Virtual Audio Cable Program Menu. Select vor Wave In your Microphone and for Wave Out Line 1 in the drop down menu.
9. Click start in the Audio Repeater program.
10. Go to Skype, open Options under Task menu. Select Audio options and select Line 2 in the drop down menu for your speaker. Save.
11. Now Select Calls in Skype Options and select automatically accept incoming calls and also accept and save.
12. Go to Google Handout. Open Settings. Select LIne 2 for your Microphone and Select Webcammax for your webcam.
13. Open Manycam. Select in Sources Tab the item Desktop. Select on the right the icon for customize selected area. Then put this customize capture area over the location of google hangout, where the hangout video will be displayed.
14. Go to Skype and again go to Task and Options. Select Video options and enter as your video source Manycam.
15. Open Webcammax and select there the capture icon on right pane third icon from the top. Select there in the drop down menu selected area and put this area over your skype window where the video will appear.
The main principle is: Webcammax will show your Skype Video Area in the Google Hangout and Manycam will show your Google Hangout Video Area on Skype.
The consequence of this is that you as the host of the Google hangout finally will not be seen in the hangout via your webcam. You need to connect via another computer and webcam to your Google hangout or use Skype via another device such as an iPhone to call the Skype account on your PC in order to be visible in the Google Hangout.
Please note the link to plusheadlines.com which is mentioned in the youtube video remarks below is not working or will direct you to some strange Advertisements. Better don’t use it.
This is the best source – will explain in detail how to setup a Google Hangout with Skype: Combine Skype and Google Hangout
How to use manycam:
In order to include and connect several Google Hangouts you would need to setup several PCs the same way. Via Skype you would call the next Computer, etc. In this setup Skype will be the bridge between several hangouts. The intriguing part is that you could have a large group of people which receive all at the same time an opening message via Video in the different hangouts. Later they could use these different hangouts as Break-out Session by shutting down the Skype connection….
List of useful ressources:
Best Practice Google Hangouts:
Elon Musk and Sir Richard Branson Hangout on Air
After Earth Google Hangout
Team Coco Hangout with Conan O’Brien
Master Chef Australia: Mindy – Google Hangout Cook-A-Long
Virtual Star Party
Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich: Champions League Final Hangout
Google Plus Week 9/27/2013 Dan McDermott
Best Practices recommeded by the Virtual Star Party Facilitator Fraser Cain:
Video Tutorials by The Google Hangout Helper Ronnie Bincer:
100 Best Google gtalk video hangout video tutorials Mega Guide:
Studio Setup for a professionally managed Google Hangout by Dan McDermott:
Using Google Hangout For Training:
Google Hangout Training:
Business Cases and Best Practices:
Here’s Help To Get Your Business Started With Google+ Hangouts On Air – Forbes
Forget Skype, Now it’s Time to “Hangout” with Google | TechnologyGuide.com
How Google Is Forever Changing The Webinar – Forbes
Google Hangouts on air a success for L.A.TV station
Advanced hangout statistics in Google+ – Social Networking – AdminSpot
Most Popular Web-Based Video Chat Service: Google Hangouts
ooVoo (free video chat tool for 12 people): http://www.oovoo.com/home.aspx
AnyMeeting (free video webconfering):
Eventbrite Create an Event for free: