Talent Management of High Potentials – David versus Goliath

In my High Potential Survey I differentiated companies into less than 1000, between 1000 to 10 000, between 10 000 to 50 000 and more than 50 000 employees. Does size matter when it comes to Talent Management of High Potentials ? Find a comparison between the smallest and the largest in number of employees below.

Some interesting findings:
Overall result: 86% who answered to the survey work in a company where a High Potential Pool already exists.
Less than 1000: 82 % work in a company where a High Potentials Pool exist.
More than 50 000: 90% have a HiPo Talent Pool.

Overall result: 64 % who filled out the survey were High Potentials if they knew about it. Still 30% of the companies in this survey will not inform their employees once they are
identified. The majority of High Potentials are between 1 to 3 years with the company (50%) and
30 to 35 years old (39%) when they are selcted.
Less than 1000: 64 % know and 27% will not inform employee about HiPo status. 36% of this talent pool is identified in the first year! with the company and 36% within the first to three years with the company. Age group: 30-35 years (55%)
More than 50 000: 70% inform and 30% will not inform their High Potential about status. Majority of selected talents are 1 to 3 years with the company (80%) and 30% are select below age 30 and 30% in the age group 30-35 years.

Overall result: Managing this talent pool is a challenge. More than 10% of the High Potentials group will leave in the majority of cases (59%) the company. 41% of companies manage to keep the attrtion rate below 10%.
The main reason for leaving is the lack of opportunity (77%). About 12% who leave have actually failed to deliver on their status.
Less than 1000: 67% have an attrition rate of less than 10% but 36% face an attrition rate of more than 20%! Main reason for leaving is the lack of opportunity (73%) and 9% fail to deliver expected results.
More than 50 000: Attriton rate: Less than 10% is 30% of replies, do not know (30% )and more than 20% of Talent leave in 40% of cases. Lack of opportunity acounts for 90% of leaves and only 10% failed whereby none were demoted and left.

My short conclusion: HIPOs in very large corporation are not demoted when they derail but most likely leave because they lack the opportunity to grow fast enough.

So far I had 47 replies. To get a better picture I would encourage you to either fill out the survey or send it to other interested people. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: